Our client is an international storage company providing logistics solutions. With a total capacity over 4,000,000 cubic meters, its facilities allow the handling of a highly diversified base of products.
It also provides a wide range of ancillary services, including blending, mixing, heating, temperature control and quality control. It further has a production facility that provides independent distillation services to the petrochemical industry.
Our clients ambition is to enable the energy transition for its customers in the most safe and sustainable manner. Sustainability has become a core part of the strategy. To be a leading sustainable terminal operator, our clients offers tailor-made solutions to support the transition. Furthermore, by starting to understand and measure the impact of our client on the key subjects within the environmental, governance & social topics, our client engages its employees and stakeholders to develop sustainable plans and achieve goals.
Through organic expansion and optimization programs as well as strategic acquisitions, the company has transformed into a leading international storage provider.
Our client continues to explore opportunities for expansion both through organic growth (new capital development projects) and acquisition.
To support this growth ambition our client is looking for a Technical Director. A primary responsibility of the Technical Director is to integrate new business in a streamlined, compliant and efficient way and to establish robust ‘future-proof’ provision of engineering and technical services to support ongoing operations and any future business development (incl. acquisitions), as this is central to the Company’s ongoing success. The Technical Director is furthermore responsible for establishing business control processes, systems and frameworks to safely and efficiently develop, integrate and maintain all facilities to acceptable & appropriate industry standards and to drive best in class performance.
The Technical Director has the commercial skills and leadership experience to bring the Technical department to the next level. The Technical Director has the drive and ambition and achieves objectives by connecting and collaborating.
The Technical Director reports to the CEO and is responsible for the development and implementation of technical and engineering strategies. This includes the development, implementation, and assurance of all technical, engineering, project and asset integrity (maintenance & inspection) management activities.
He/she is responsible for technical interfaces with external stakeholders and regulatory bodies.
He/she leads the Technical Directorate which will consist of three departments (‘pillars’) namely, Projects, Engineering & Asset Integrity Management each led by a senior manager.
The Technical Director is accountable for the quality, cost and timely delivery of technical and engineering services including:
- Development & implementation of ‘fit for purpose’, corporate-wide engineering and technical strategy that is consistent with industry good practice, supports regulatory compliance and facilitates aspired corporate performance
- Working closely with the Leadership Team to support business development opportunities and activities including the timely assessment and implementation of customer opportunities and, the due diligence and subsequent incorporation of asset acquisition targets
- Management of the three Technical departments with the following key responsibilities:
- Project Realization; development and delivery of new capital investment and extra-ordinary maintenance projects
- Engineering Services; provision of fit for purpose technical and engineering services to projects, maintenance, operations and HSEQ.
- Asset Integrity; establishment of robust, effective and efficient asset integrity management processes. This includes the management and delivery of technical inspection and assurance.
- Technical due diligence; provide fit for purpose technical due diligence on potential business acquisition targets (assessing operability, integrity and cost risks)
- Establishing and maintaining engineering and technical standards, ensuring that these are consistently applied across the company and are in line with regulatory requirements and industry good practice
- Monitoring and managing the performance of engineering, technical services and construction contractor performance to ensure that the organization receives cost effective fit for purpose service provision
- Technical approval of materials and equipment suppliers
- Best in class’ cost performance; implementation of efficient and effective working practices (own staff and contractors) to facilitate corporate performance
- Technical resource competence and availability (own staff and contractors) to timely meet business requirements
- Accountability for safety in development, planning and execution of technical work
- Business and Team Leadership; being a role model in the promotion of corporate values, behaviours, communication and team leadership
- External stakeholder management and representation of the organization in regard to engineering and technical matters
Competences / leadership
- Have the theoretical knowledge to solve problems in new technologies and develop new analytical techniques
- Demonstrate successful application of the knowledge to deliver innovative products and services and/or take technical responsibility for complex engineering systems
- Have accountability for project, finance and personnel management and managing trade-offs between technical and socio-economic factors
- Have skill sets necessary to develop other technical staff
- Have effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters
- Embrace and work to enhance both occupational and technical safety
- Team Leadership, effective communication and excellent performance management / coaching skills are considered essential
- Working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to achieve corporate goals and objectives
Qualifications / knowledge / experience
- Chartered Engineer with a masters degree; circa 15 – 20 years in petrochemical / oil & gas industry including experience of the terminal storage and logistics business
- Senior management / leadership experience within an owner operator organisation with direct responsibility for business process development and implementation and bottom-line performance delivery (projects and maintenance)
- Demonstrable experience of major capital project development and delivery including industry good practice of integrated project management systems
- Oil / energy industry asset integrity management and process safety requirements
- Leadership experience of working within a dynamic and changing business environment with a demonstrable record of instigating and successfully implementing / embedding performance enhancing organisational change
- Communication in Dutch and English written and spoken
- Extensive knowledge of financial concepts, models and the process of investment proposals
- Strong leadership and project management skills; priorities, deadlines, Multi-tasking
- Customer and result oriented with focus on safety and timeliness
- Independent, self-starter and analytical
- And further: Energy, humor, relativity and decisiveness
Excellent conditions, including short-term and long-term incentive plan, company car, etc.